These vegan alternative to prawn crackers taste delicious! They require a bit of effort to make, but are well worth it for the knowledge they contain no colours or preservatives.
The addition of shio koji means that these vegan crackers are just as delicious as the prawn version.
- Deep fryer
- Food Processor
- 200 g chestnut mushroom
- 150 ml shio koji approx 7% salt content
- 75 g red onion
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 400 g Tapioca Flour
- 100 ml water
- Blend mushrooms, onion, shio koji and pepper to a puree
- Add tapioca flour and water and mix
- Place a layer of cling film onto a baking tray. Pour in a thin later of the mixture, then use a second layer of cling film to create as thin a layer of batter as possible
- Steam for 7 minutes
- Gently peel off the cling film
- Place in a dehydrator and dehydrate until sheet is so brittle it snaps easily (mine took 12 hours at 50'C) Note: The bottom corners of this sheet are too thick, for the perfect cracker it should be transparent at this stage. Thick bits can still be fried, but they aren't as light and crispy.
- Break the sheet into pieces (this sheet shows desired transparency)
- Deep fry at 170'C until crackers puff and rise to the surface. Drain on a piece of kitchen towel and enjoy!