Green lentil miso adds a beautiful, earthy umami flavour to dishes. It is perfect in simple soups and stews, but goes especially well with ones containing coconut milk.
1 packet Umami Chef Koji
300g cooked green lentils (use drained, canned lentils or cook 150g dried green lentils)
- Ensure that all your equipment is very clean. Running it through a dishwasher is the easiest way to ensure cleanliness, but jars could also be placed in an oven at 90’C for 20 minutes, if a dishwasher is unavailable.
- Cool the cooked green lentils to room temperature
- In a large bowl, mix the koji, lentils and salt.
- Massage them together for a minute or two, so the lentil release some liquid.
- Squash the mixture into a jar, trying not to leave any pockets of air.
- Wipe any stray miso from the walls of the jar.
- Sprinkle a fine layer of salt on the surface, to prevent mold from forming.
- Cut a piece of greaseproof paper or cling film to fit over the surface and then weigh down with a glass weight (a small jar filled with water that fits inside your big jar is perfect!)
- Cover with a t-towel, to prevent flies from entering.
- Leave to ferment at room temperature for 6 months