Shoyu koji is made by mixing soy sauce with koji. This means it combines the flavour of soy sauce with the power of koji. Use it in place of soy sauce in any recipe for an extra depth of savoury flavour.
The real power of shoyu koji comes when you use it as a marinade – coating food for a few hours/overnight so the koji can perform it’s magic.
If you use it in a marinade:
- Carbohydrates (like rice or potatoes) will become sweeter
- Proteins (like beans or meat) will be broken down into delicious amino acids – which are especially beneficial for our nutrition.
- Meat will become more tender
It is really simple to make – just mix koji and soy sauce together, then leave at room temperature for 7 days.
If you can’t wait then it is perfectly safe to eat it before the 7 days are up, it just won’t have reached maximum deliciousness!
- 100 g koji
- 200 ml soy sauce
- 100 ml water boiled, then cooled to room temperature
- Mix the ingredients together in a jar
- Place a lid on the jar and leave to ferment at room temperature for 7 days.
- After 7 days it is ready! At this stage you can either blend it until smooth or sieve to remove the rice. Use instead of soy sauce, to add a rich umami flavour to any dish. Transfer to a fridge, where it can be stored for at least a month.