This quick, sweet miso makes a soup that tastes just like a British Green Pea soup. Once the miso has matured the soup is ready in the time it takes to boil a kettle.
Blue Pea Miso
- Place the peas in a bowl, cover with water, then leave to soak in a fridge overnight
- Rinse the peas, transfer to a saucepan and then boil gently, until soft (approx 45 minutes)
- Drain, then leave to peas to cool. Once cool, add the koji and salt.
- Blend until well combined. If using for a soup a smooth paste is best, but feel free to leave chunky if you're using the miso in other ways.
- Press the miso into a clean jar, ensuring all air pockets are removed. Then lightly sprinkle surface with salt. Cover (eg. with a muslin secured with an elastic band), then place in a warm place (eg. in an airing cupboard) for 10 days.
- After 10 days, scrape off the salt and transfer to a fridge. To make the soup, just stir a tablespoon of miso into a mug of stock.